My Monday Motto

My friend gives the early morning news on a radio station far, far away. With the miracles of this new-fangled gadget called the Internet, I can listen to the broadcast on my computer.

Usually, there is something fun and/or noteworthy involving my friend and the news. For example, I like to play a drinking game with my coffee whenever my friend says the name "Vladimir Putin." This is often, so it is a win-win all around; I become more alert with each sip of coffee, and I have the added pleasure of marveling at how fun it is to cry out "Putin!" after my friend says it. If I'm in an especially waggish mood, I sing a little bit of "Puttin' on the Ritz" from Young Frankenstein--retrofitting the lyrics to match the name.

I live in hope that one day my friend will take my bet and say "Today, the weather will be...perfect!" That has not happened. Yet, the hope keeps me listening, and that's good because there was a bonus this morning. I picked up a new motto from the broadcast:

“When the going gets tough, the spores hunker down in the detritus.”

Let this be your Monday motto, too.